STEM Squad is a weekly afterschool program for children 9 years and older with a passion for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Children are encouraged to have fun exploring their interests through design, experimentation and project construction using real-world tools and materials.
STEM Squad is not a classroom but a fun opportunity for children to explore their interests in various STEM subjects.
We feel that hands-on STEM learning deepens a child’s understanding and independence through experiments, using tools safely, and making or tinkering. Inspiring children to imagine, design, consult, make, test, fail, try again, fail, and succeed.
Projects are self-directed with adult support. Children are encouraged to work on any project or experiment with anything that interests them:
- Build an electric car from scratch of any kind
- Build a robot from scratch of any kind
- Do experiments of any kind
- Tinker with Electricity and Energy
- Remote Control servos and speed controllers
- Electronics and learning to solder.
- Raspberry Pi and Arduino coding
- Coriolis and other aerodynamics or fluid dynamics
- Animatronics of any kind
- Wearable technologies of any kind
- All manner of flying, gliding, rolling, skimming or floating things
We say you can build anything! except for weapons or Time Machines, and then if asked why time travel is a bad idea, we lead into an interesting discussion about astronomy and space travel.
Occasionally, group workshops/events will be run to support children learning of specific science, technology, engineering, tool use safety or maths and science principles. This will not only help to improve their project work but also help deepen their understanding of the world and how things work.
Finished projects, experiments and materials remain the Library’s property. In other words, children cannot take their finished work home. This allows us to offer a far greater choice of project materials and technologies. Allow children the opportunity to make more exciting projects. However, children are always welcome to bring in their projects/materials from home or school to work on in STEM Squad with support.
Some projects will be chosen for display on social media or in the Library. Projects or experiments are disassembled, and the materials are reused, re-purposed or recycled for new projects and experiments.
Children must be nine years or older, and bookings are essential.
- Mondays – Greenacres Library – 2 Fosters Rd, Greenacres – Capacity 16
- Tuesdays – Port Adelaide Library, 2-4 Church St, Port Adelaide – Capacity 16
- Thursdays – Parks Library – 46 Trafford St, Angle Park – Capacity 18
STEM Squad is held between 3:30 pm and 4:30 pm (Not including school holidays and public holidays):
- This program is provided by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Libraries and intended for people who live, work or study in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield.
- Registration is for 1 semester or 2 school terms. There are two semesters each year.
- Please ensure your email and phone number are correct.
- Please sign the check-in sheet on arrival each week, as this is an attendance record.
- Please note: Once registered, we will only hold a place if given prior notice. However, if a child is absent for more than two consecutive weeks without prior notice, we will cancel their booking to release it to the next child on the waiting list.