STEM Squad is a weekly afterschool program for children 9 years and older with a passion for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Children are encouraged to have fun exploring their interests through design, experimentation and the construction of a project using real-world tools and materials.
STEM Squad is not a classroom but a fun opportunity for children to explore their interests in a wide variety of STEM subjects. Hands-on STEM learning deepens a child’s understanding and independence through experiments, making or tinkering. Inspiring children to imagine, make, test, fail, try again, fail, try again and succeed.
Projects are self-directed with adult support. Children are encouraged to work on any project or experiment with anything that interests them:
- Build an electric car from scratch of any kind
- Build a robot from scratch of any kind
- Do experiments of any kind
- Tinker with Electricity and Energy
- Remote Control servos and speed controllers
- Electronics and learning to solder.
- Raspberry Pi and Arduino coding
- Coriolis and other aerodynamics or fluid dynamics
- Animatronics of any kind
- Wearable technologies of any kind
- All manner of flying, gliding, rolling, skimming or floating things
We say you can build anything! except for weapons or Time Machines, and then if asked why time travel is a bad idea we lead into an interesting discussion about astronomy and space travel. Click here to find out why time travel is a bad idea.
From time to time group workshops/events will be run to support their learning of specific science, technology, engineering and math principles. This will not only help to improve their project work but also help deepen their understanding of the world and how things work.
Finished projects, experiments and materials remain the property of the Library (In other words children cannot take their finished work home). However, this allows us to offer a far greater choice of materials and technologies to use in their projects.
Some projects will be chosen for display on social media or in the Library. Projects or experiments are disassembled and the materials reused, re-purposed or recycled for new projects and experiments. However, children are always welcome to bring in projects from home or school to work on.
STEM Squad is held between 3:30 pm and 4:30 pm, not including school holidays:
- Mondays & Fridays – at Greenacres Library – 2 Fosters Rd, Greenacres
- Tuesdays – at Port Adelaide Library, 2-4 Church St, Port Adelaide – Renovations 15th Feb.
- Thursdays – at Parks Library – 46 Trafford St, Angle Park.
Please note: There are 2 semesters each year, Semester 1 is from January to June and Semester 2 July to December if you miss registration please join the waiting list and if someone cancels your child will be added automatically and you will be notified by email. Please check our School Holiday Program for other exciting STEM activities.
- STEM programs are provided by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Libraries and are primarily intended for Library customers and residence in the City of Port Adelaide Enfield area.
- We have introduced bookings to manage the number of children attending each session. This supports contact tracing and social distancing requirements, although our rooms may indicate they hold larger numbers. Children are moving around sitting and standing building projects talking with other children, using tools and materials. So to manage the safety of your children we have had to set limits at each site.
- Please note: we will hold a place if you give us prior notice. However, if a child is absent for more than 2 consecutive weeks without prior notice, we will cancel their booking and release it to the next child on the waiting list.
- Please sign the check-in sheet on arrival, as this is our record of attendance.
If STEM Squad is postponed for an extended period of time due to pandemic precautions or other reasons the program will be continued on-line.
More details here: https://stemlibrary.space/stem-squad-zoom/
For the latest information about the City of PAE’s response to the COVID-19 situation please visit this page.