STEM Squad is a weekly ongoing afterschool program for children 9 years and older with a passion for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Children are encouraged to have fun exploring their interests through design, experimentation and the construction of a project using real-world tools and materials.
STEM Squad is not a classroom but a fun opportunity for children to explore their interests in a wide variety of STEM subjects. Hands-on STEM learning deepens children’s understanding and independence through experiments, making or tinkering. Inspiring children to imagine, make, test, fail, try again, fail, try again and succeed.
Projects are self-directed with adult support. Children are encouraged to work on any project or experiment with anything that interests them:
- Build an electric car from scratch of any kind
- Build a robot from scratch of any kind
- Do experiments of any kind
- Electricity and Energy
- Remote Control servos and speed controllers (ESCs)
- Electronics and learning to solder.
- Raspberry Pi and Arduino
- Coriolis and other aerodynamics or fluid dynamics
- Animatronics of any kind
- Wearable technologies
- All maner of flying things
We say you can build anything! except for a Time Machine, and then if they ask why? We explain why time traveller is a bad idea.
STEM Squad is an ongoing weekly program to allow children to work on their designs, prototypes and improve their projects and/or experiments. Although not expected, collaboration and teamwork is always encouraged.
From time to time group workshops/events will be run to support their learning of specific science, technology, engineering and math principles. This will not only help to improve their work but also deepen their understanding of the world and how things work.
Finished projects, experiments and materials remain the property of the Library (In other words children cannot take their finished work home). However, some will be chosen for display on social media or in the Library. Projects or experiments are disassembled and the materials reused, re-purposed or recycled for new projects and experiments. However, children are always welcome to bring in projects from home or school to work on.
Click here to go to our bookings page to choose the nearest Library to you.
STEM Squad is held between 3:30 pm and 4:30 pm on:
- Tuesdays – Port Adelaide Library, 2-4 Church St, Port Adelaide
- Thursdays – Parks Library – 46 Trafford St, Angle Park
- Mondays & Fridays – Greenacres Library – 2 Fosters Rd, Greenacres
- STEM programs provided by the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Libraries are primarily intended for Library customers and residence on the City of Port Adelaide Enfield area.
- There are 2 booking seasons per year January to June or July to December
- In the second booking season, anyone on the waiting list from the first season will be automatically added to the second season. Any remaining places will on a first come first served basis, including anyone who had previously attended STEM Squad.
- If your child can not attend please cancel your booking as we have a waiting list.
- We have introduced bookings to manage the number of children attending each session. This supports contact tracing and social distancing requirements, although our rooms may indicate they hold larger numbers. Children are moving around sitting and standing building projects talking with others, using tools and materials. So to manage the safety of your children we have had to limit numbers at each site.
- STEM Squad continues over the school holidays, however, if your child is only going to be absent over this time please let us know and we will keep their booking open.
- If a child is absent for more than 2 consecutive weeks without prior notice, we will cancel the booking and release it to the next child on the waiting list.
- Please let us know if you would like to transfer to another library.
If STEM Squad is postponed for an extended period due to pandemic precautions or other reasons the program will be continued on-line.
More detail here: https://stemlibrary.space/stem-squad-zoom/
For the latest information about the City of PAE’s response to the COVID-19 situation please visit this page.